A new survey for Earth Day found only 31% of us always recycle. The average American throws out five things a week that could be recycled instead.
68% of us think used plastic utensils can be recycled. And technically, they can. But it costs too much. So most recycling plants won’t do it.
Additionally, 53% of us think greasy pizza boxes should go in the recycling bin. But they can’t be recycled either. Here are five more recycling stats for Earth Day . . .
1. 82% of Americans want to be more environmentally friendly. But only 31% of people said they always recycle.
2. The average American throws out five things a week that could be recycled instead.
3. Three in ten Americans are now using reusable water bottles instead of plastic. And 29% of us try to avoid straws too.
4. 83% of us would be willing to pay extra for products if they were more environmentally friendly.
5. Our top five excuses for not recycling are: “It’s not convenient enough” . . . “I don’t have space for the extra bin” . . . “I don’t have time to separate my recycling” . . . “I don’t have enough information about how to do it” . . . and, “I’m too lazy.”