Montana’s Lone Congressional Seat Up For Grabs in Special Election May 25th.

MISSOULA, MT — With Rep.  Ryan Zinke (R) taking a federal appointment earlier this year, Montana will hold a special election to decide his successor.  After each party nominated a candidate, Governor Steve Bullock set the date for a statewide election to decide whether Kalispell Democrat Rob Quist, Bozeman Republican Greg Gianforte or Libertarian Mark Wicks of Inverness would take the seat.

The election generated some partisan squabbling before the campaign even began.  Cash-strapped county election officers asked the state legislature to allow the election to be held by mail only, saying it would be difficult to find polling places and judges on short notice and would cost $750,000 more than a mail-only ballot.

But GOP leaders, worried that the move could help Democrat-leaning voters, blocked the measure in the legislature.

Outside groups have also poured money into the state to sway voters.  Over $2 million had already been spent by the first week of May and after a brief run of mild “get-to-know-you” ads, the major party campaigns were airing attack ads aimed at their opponent.

The election will be held on the fourth Thursday in May – May 25th, 2017.  County election officers had to move polling places in many areas because their usual spots were not available.  A list of polling places that have been changed in Missoula county are here.  In Ravalli County, only the Hamilton High School polling place had to be moved.  It has been relocated to the Ravalli County Fairgrounds Floral Building. Sanders County will use its usual polling places for the special election.  An interactive site showing addresses, photos and a map of polling places is available for Lake County voters.  In Granite county, Precincts 1 and 2 will vote at the Granite County Museum and Precincts 9 & 10 will vote at the Drummond Community Hall.  Search this list of all western Montana election offices for addresses, phone numbers and contact info.   You can also access your personal election information at the Secretary of State’s website, including whether you are registered to vote and your polling place.  Just enter your first and last name, date of birth, address and county on the My Voter page.