The Missoula Carousel is in need of a cylinder bearing after one broke last week on the 101 year old attraction. Several professionals from across the United States, including many local shops, have offered their expertise to fix the broken cylinder bearing, which has caused the closure of A Carousel for Missoula.
Andy Troutwine of Andy’s Shop has the knowledge and equipment to remove the old, broken bearing and to make a new one. He is currently fabricating a new bearing, which will be installed as soon as it is ready. Even with dedicated and talented workers, problems this big take a while to fix, so they do not yet have a reopening date.
In addition to the cost of the repair, the Carousel is losing much of its high season income. One half of the Carousel’s operating income comes in the summer months. The unfortunate timing of the closure will cause a significant decrease in the Carousel’s earned income for 2019. Approximately 75% of the Carousel’s expenses are covered by income from operations; the other 25% comes from fundraising efforts.
Dawn Maddux of Engel and Völkers has started a GoFundMe page for the repairs. Engel and Völkers will match donations up to $5000 before August 10. (https://www.gofundme.com/f/engel-amp-volkers-carousel-for-missoula-fundraiser). Others have dropped donations off at the Carousel, or mailed them to PO Box 3345, Missoula, MT 59806.