We are knee deep in Primary season and with that…this: It is downright dangerous to talk politics these days!
According to a survey by VitalSmarts, 71% of Americans now say they’ve had at least one political discussion that’s harmed a relationship with a friend, family member, or colleague. That’s up almost THIRTY PERCENT from 2016 when only 42% said it was true.
Here are five more quick stats on why people avoid talking politics . . .
1. 55% of us have had at least one political discussion that involved “verbal attacks, insults, or name-calling.” Up from 41% four years ago.
2. 69% say talking politics has caused them to lose respect for someone.
3. 57% have unfriended someone on social media because of their political views. And 23% have unfriended someone in real life.
4. 38% have avoided someone at work, or in social situations.
5. 18% of us have avoided at least one of our relatives around the holidays, because we don’t agree with their politics.